Comic Update: I wanna stay with you

While not a totally widespread practice, it’s become more common to leave titles of Japanese properties untranslated to appease the needs of the 13-year-old Japanophile crowd. However, this practice seems to limit itself to titles which most Americans can kind-of-sort-of pronounce, not titles in which they’d just trip over the pronunciation. “Kuro Shitsuji” isn’t really that hard to say, but I am sad that I’ll never ever be able to hear a young girl twist her tongue around the name in the Borders manga aisle now. Oh well!

This comic was actually re-drawn a bit. I wasn’t happy with how it originally turned out, so since I had some time before it went up, I edited it a bit. While this newer version isn’t perfect, I feel a lot more conferable putting it up on display. For the few curious parties, the original can be viewed here.

I actually really like how the backgrounds turned out here. Instead of just making something up or tracing over a photo, I simply used a photo as reference, but didn’t trace over it. The backgrounds are quite messy, but that’s what I like about them.

I have a comic all ready for next week, so look forward to an update then. There probably will not be an update at the end of the month, because that’s when I have something like three papers due, and I don’t plan to do them until that week. But then after that things should lighten up, and I’ll have more time to attend to this site.

Later!

This entry was posted in Comic Update, Site Stuff. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Comic Update: I wanna stay with you

1. T-N doesn’t even translate “kisama” or “-tachi” in their subs. Makes me sad that people actually think these “translations” are good.

2. wah says:

Wait they still do that?

3. Zelkiiro says:

Kisama-tachi are all so baka desu yo.

Seriously, Watashi want to hanasu Nihongo all hi long.

4. unkoyama says:

http://xrl.us/bhgne5 is all I have to say

5. Mr.Meido says:

I love hearing the way different people pronounce things. I do like your new version of panel two. Rets looks cool.

6. LORd says:

All I can think of when I see that cover is DECANTERING.

7. 2DT says:

I rather think we’ve been spared, don’t you? :)

8. What, no Arakawa Under The Bridge comic?

That’s surprising.

9. Satou says:

I like the new version of panel two, it makes Rets look much better.

10. I asked my little girl to pronounce Kuroshitsuji after reading that, she stared at me for a second with a slight mixture of bemusement and contempt, pronounced the word with absolutely no difficulty and then walked back to Smash Brothers.
    I really liked how Rets is drawn in the second from end panel by the way.

11. Just a pointer, but the book Tina is holding seems kinda disproportionate to her hands…

12. Been catching up since I last left MoY in 2008 (not really 2008, but sometime in 2009 when I found it) and I know it’s becoming recent when I find one of the shirts I own is worn by Rets…