Gurren Lagann volume 1 came in the other day

What’s notable is how they use a variation on ADTRW’s  “kick reason to the curb” line on the back.

Sadly, “Reject common sense to make the impossible possible” is used in the show proper, but it’s good to see that Bandai has some kind of idea about the pulse of the fandom.

I actually skimmed episode one a bit, and the translation seems pretty good. There’s a lot of liberties taken (Kamina at one point says “fugly”) but it works for something like Gurren Lagann. 110% and all that.

This entry was posted in Anime and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Gurren Lagann volume 1 came in the other day

“Reject common sense to make the impossible possible”

…..

2. 3x as random says:

Well, thats the literal Translation. Lol. I’m gonna try and predict when this is gonna get to NZ…

Time to watch some Strike Witches naw~

3. riceball says:

I went and got this as soon as I could Tuesday. c: And then I marathoned the entire two discs. It was as awesome and manly as usual~ There were some things that bothered me about the subs every once in a while, but it still seemed pretty decent to me.

4. Drew says:

completely skipping this release. I’m waiting for the DVDs with the extras.

5. Andrew F. says:

“the folks who brought you FLCL and Neon Genesis Evangelion”?

Is this the Southern Edition packaging or something?

6. BrendantheJedi says:

I bought it as well. I haven’t watched it yet, but I already disagree with one thing. The name they chose for episode 8…a bit disapointing.

7. Xerox says:

He says “fugly”? That just RUINS everything I love about Gurren Lagann. However, like you said, it might just work.

8. Freelii says:

I’ll pick up the DVDs regardless once more start coming out, but did anyone check out the dub before I hurt myself watching it on TV?

Having seen it before, I don’t know if it can possible compare to the original tenacity/energy/awesomeness of the Japanese dub.

9. Andrew F. says:

This is a sub-only version. The dub is still in production.

10. Freelii says:

Fair enough. Guess I’ll just grit my teeth and hope for the best :P

11. SSJSquall says:

I’ve got this release and I plan on buying the next two. I’ll wait for the sci-fi channel’s airing (if it’s dubbed) to see if the dub is worth it. Otherwise, 60 some odd bucks for the entire season isn’t too bad.

12. Keideki says:

I actually really like the translation on the sub. It really fits even if it is not exact.

13. Hunter says:

Uncensored Episode 6 FTW. If anything, that’s a good reason to watch the dvd, I can’t believe how amazing this ep 6 is from the aired one.

14. Keideki says:

Was there an uncensored version of episode 6 on the english disc? I maybe just stupid but I think the version I watched on my english disc was still censored… or was that the uncensored version?